State of California Permits
Monterey County has numerous state roads, state parks and beaches, and even Pt. Lobos State Reserve. These properties are permitted via the California Film Commission after discussing the project with local contacts listed.
- California Film Commission
- Phone: 800-858-4749 or 323-860-2960
- Fax: 323-860-2976 or 323-860-2972
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 7080 Hollywood Blvd., Suite 900, Hollywood, CA 90028
- Website: www.film.ca.gov
California Highway Patrol:
- Contact: Ian Ramer, CHP Film Media Relations Officer, 800-858-4749 ext. 103, or 323-817-4103
- Cell: 213-703-2070
- Fax: 323-817-4113
- Email: Ian.Ramer@chp.ca.gov
Fees: No location fees. $140 review fee for Caltrans and hourly charges if necessary for rangers. Fees vary based on activity.
State Roads: All Caltrans permits are issued through the California Film Commission (CFC). Highway One in Big Sur is a state road. Please note that Caltrans District 5 restricts film activities that include traffic control on Highway One from Carmel Highlands south into San Luis Obispo County during the summer. The moratorium is in effect between Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend. Questions on the policy may be directed to Caltrans District 5 interim contact: Peter Hendrix, 805-549-3206.
For California Highway Patrol support, contact the CHP Film Media Relations Officer at the CFC.
- Contact: Brandy Davis, Permit Coordinator, Northern California State Parks and Bldgs./Facilities
- Phone: 800-858-4749 ext. 106, or 323-817-4106
- Email: BDavis@film.ca.gov
State Parks: Contact the local state parks rangers to get initial approval of film activity. The final permit is issued through the California Film Commission State Parks Coordinator, Brandy Davis.
Parks including Pt. Lobos State Reserve, Carmel River State Beach and Middle Beach, Monastery Beach, Monterey State Beach, Salinas River State Beach, Moss Landing State Beach, and Ft. Ord Dunes State Beach.
Asilomar State Beach and Monterey Historic Parks:
Big Sur Area:
Parks including Andrew Molera State Park, Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park, Pt. Sur State Park, and Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park.
Fees: Varied fees depending on activities, including monitors.
For tips on filming in Big Sur: visit Sustainable Moments.
Filming with Aerial Drones:
- Use of UAS from California Film Commission (rev. 11/18) — View PDF
- California Film Commission UAS Questionnaire (rev. 11/8/18) — View PDF
- Website: http://film.ca.gov/state-permits/uas-filming-with-drones/
- Also, please see additional requirements at Coastal Aerial Filming (click here)
Please contact the Monterey County Film Commission at 831-646-0910 (cell: 831-594-9410) or email Film Commissioner Karen Nordstrand at Karen@FilmMonterey.org in advance of any filming to register the project, receive filming guidelines and tips, and to be advised of any changes in the following information.
The Monterey County Film Commission does not issue permits, but we are happy to help direct you to the appropriate jurisdictions which you’ll find listed within this section.