Federal Permits


California Coastal National Monument (CCNM)

Fort Ord National Monument (FONM)


From coastal Big Sur’s Los Padres National Forest to Pfeiffer Beach, there are U.S. Forest Service lands with specific restrictions on film opportunities.

For permits on U.S. Forest Service properties (i.e. Pfeiffer Beach, Sand Dollar Beach, etc.), visit this U.S. Forest Service web page. Then go the Event/Commercial Permits button; then to Southern California National Forests Film Request and proceed to the listing for Los Padres. The Monterey Ranger District allows use of Pfeiffer Beach for films/photos between September 15 and March 15 during weekdays that are not holidays (filming not allowed between March 15 and September 15). Be aware that motorhomes are not allowed on the road accessing Pfeiffer Beach. Due to the increased popularity of this site and the limited parking at the day use area, the Monterey Ranger District of the Los Padres National Forest and Concessionaire Parks Management will not issue commercial film permits nor wedding permits for Pfeiffer Beach between these dates.

To apply for a film permit, complete the film request document, a certificate of insurance, and endorsement well ahead as it could take 4 weeks to issue a film permit.  Be as specific as possible (what, where, when, people and equipment, vehicles, parking, etc.) in your request and include a good map to shorten the time it takes to evaluate and process the proposal.


Pinnacles National Park

  • Contact: Rich Moorer, Interpretation and Visitor Services, West Visitors Center
  • Phone: 831-389-4486, ext. 4241, or 831-207-0874 cell
  • Email: Richard_Moorer@nps.gov
  • Address: Pinnacles National Park, 5000 East Entrance Road, Paicines, CA  95043-9770

Please contact the Monterey County Film Commission at 831-646-0910 (cell: 831-594-9410) or email Film Commissioner Karen Nordstrand at Karen@FilmMonterey.org in advance of any filming to register the project, receive filming guidelines and tips, and to be advised of any changes in the following information.

The Monterey County Film Commission does not issue permits, but we are happy to help direct you to the appropriate jurisdictions which you’ll find listed within this section.